Author Topic: Fathers Day 2017  (Read 160 times)

SapperSteel

• Deplorable!
  • City: Arimo
  • State: Idaho
Fathers Day 2017
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
No. 2 Son, currently on block leave after returning from his second tour in Afghanistan, this one with the 7th SOG, was at the ranch for Fathers' Day.  His Fathers' Day gift to me was one half of a matched set of .44 Mag lever action rifles with 16-inch barrels, Taurus Model 92.  He, of course, kept the other half of the set. 

Nice little rifles, tube magazine holds 8 rounds .44 Mag or 9 rounds .44 Special, seems to eat either type ammo happily.  Rear site easily adjustable, front site not so easy, but firing 100 rounds through it on Sunday revealed that it was set in the right place at the factory, so if I avoid knocking it out of place then adjusting it may never be an issue.  It may well replace my Mosin Nagant in the role of behind-the-seat gun in my pickup truck -- lots of stopping power (Taylor KO factor of 19.9, as compared to the Mosin's TKO factor of 20.8 ), reasonable range (though not so far as the Mosin), and just plain fun to shoot.

Here's a photo (a selfie taken by No. 1 daughter) of us trying them out last Sunday afternoon, shooting at bottles about 150 feet up the hill:

Hope your Fathers' Day was as joyful!

As always,

Sap

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
  • City: Greater Downtown Metropolitan Eastsound
  • State: Washington
Re: Fathers Day 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
I'm glad that your Fathers' Day was filled with family, shooting, and fun, but...
Straighten that back, soldier. Otherwise, you'll end up with a curved spine and pain.
(Your son is doing it right.)

I got a nice, long FaceTime call from my granddaughter, and, just as it was closed, our phone lines all went out. Everything. Even 9-1-1.
CenturyTel experienced a widespread outage that reached all the way into the MidWest!
Our son tried to call, but the lines were down. He had to wait 'till Monday.

He told us that they have found a nice house in very rural, dairy-country, southern New York State. It's close to the Jersey border, which means that they'll be living very close to his wife's parents (who are just over the line in New Jersey). She likes that, in part because of the free babysitting.
His new job is at about twice the salary he was being paid at the old one, and for much less work stress. And in their new rural community, his salary will go much further anyway. Plus they'll have free babysitting.

All is good... Except that neither set of kids will be able to visit us, this summer, and I'm now too old to travel for that long in a cramped airplane seat. (Jean will go east, and help her son and his family move.)
Steve
(Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter)

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

NorCal Chuck

• State: California
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »
Had a great one myself . . . .
My son took me to the Annual Comptche Volunteer Fire Departments BBQ.
Had a great time eating, drinking beer and yaking with folks you only see every once in a while.
Besides I added another beer class to my collection . . . broke two of them last year . . . .
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to any and all elected officials."

NRA Member
California Rifle and Pistol Association member
http://www.redwoodpracticalshooters.org

SapperSteel

• Deplorable!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
...Straighten that back, soldier. Otherwise, you'll end up with a curved spine and pain.
(Your son is doing it right.). . .

Yeah, bad form.  I think I was shooting at something further up on the hill when Heather took the selfie.

Do you see the P229 on my right hip?  It's in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II holster configured with "tuckable" clips.,

Not sure what #2 Son was carrying, or #1 daughter either, but they're there somewhere.

As always,

Sap

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
...Do you see the P229 on my right hip?...

Nope.
But that's the point, right?
Steve

SapperSteel

• Deplorable!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »
...Do you see the P229 on my right hip?...

Nope.
But that's the point, right?

Well, yeah, at least for the uninitiated, which is 99% of the population at large.

But one who is aware, as are the members of this forum, should see the clues.

Look at the belt loop on my right hip.  Now look just to the right side of that loop, toward my front.  See the clip (look for the black dot, which is a hole in the outer face of the clip, then you'll see the portion of the clip above the belt)?  That's the front clip of the holster.  You can see the shape of the top of the rear clip, too, though it's made more obscure by the shadow.

Now, do you see my daughter's gray hair?

I feel old.

As always,

Sap
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:48:23 PM by SapperSteel »

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »
...But one who is aware, as are the members of this forum, should see the clues...

Nope.
Unless I need to look, I feel that I owe other people the courtesy of not looking.

I didn't feel any possibility of a threat from you, or your picture. I thought that I could see a bulge in your shirt, but I didn't follow it up with closer scrutiny.
But if I were out in public, among people I don't know, I'd be looking. Carefully.
Besides, it's actually easier to spot a concealed weapon when the person carrying it is in motion.*

And, alas, our daughter, too, is beginning to show silver threads among the, well, dark brown.
Aging is not a solitary phenomenon. We're all in this together, and there's only one way out.

*Jean and I were out to dinner, tonight, with "the other Henigsons," my cousins who, by mere chance, also happen to live on this small island.
The mom is about five years older than I am, and her sons are in their 40s, but very active. Whenever we get together, the "boys" and I enjoy a bit of friendly rough-house, and tonight was no exception.
In the process, and in a very public place, one of the "boys," um, exposed me. Not only did he pull my vest up, but my silver-color pistol remained in plain sight for a couple of minutes.
Nobody got upset. Nobody even pointed. Some people, who know all of us, were actually laughing, enjoying our playing around.
Then we all sat down and ordered dinner.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:01:47 AM by M1911A1 Steve »
Steve