Author Topic: New FT Bullseye Sight  (Read 527 times)

Major Malfunction

• Global Moderator
  • State: Florida
New FT Bullseye Sight
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:32:59 AM »
I'm not a gadget guy (yeah, right!), but I just picked up a new sight and I'd like to share it with you.

Although its called the FT Bullseye (FT for Fire Optic & Tritium), it IS NOT a Bullseye sight. It's a combat sight. If you're are into tight groups, look elsewhere, because this sight won't help with that.

The name bullseye comes from the appearance of the sight picture as seen here:

How does it work? Ignore the front sight, look at the back sight only, and when the dot is centered in the ring (as you see in the picture) and that whole shebang is on target, you squeeze and get the hit. You can shoot both eyes open, like you would with a red dot sight, and you look at the back sight, instead of lining up the front and rear.

When the sight arrived, I was initially concerned that I would NEVER be able to see that tiny rear sight.  It's a teeny-tiny lens. However, when held in shooting position, I had no trouble seeing the dot and ring (though my eyes don't focus close anymore, so I needed the bifocals).

I was also surprised how well it works in varying light:
Bright light - it's really bright.
In the dark it's dim, but once my eyes adjusted to the darkness, it was fine.
In bright light, with the sun over my shoulder directly hitting the sight, and aiming into a dark area, no problem.
From a dark area aiming toward the bright light of day - NO WAY. Couldn't see anything. But, I couldn't have seen any sight in those conditions. The background was just too darn bright.

Adjustability: It's windage adjustable when you install it. In other words, get it properly centered. Otherwise it is parallel to the barrel and that's all you get. Close quarters it will likely hit the target. Long range, the adjustment is all you. Personally, I've never seen the need for adjustable sights on a combat handgun. It just makes no sense at all. It's like trying to fine tune a sledge hammer.

Fitment: The sight is low and flat. It will fit in your normal holster without any problem (unlike the RMR on my 40 cal). Here are top and side views:

I pushed out my old sight using the proper tool, and figured I'd have to push in the new sight using the same method, but the new sight slipped into place with no tool needed. I'm not sure I like that. There are hex screws (wrench included) that attach the sight to the dove tail. You loosen it, slide it in place after applying Loctite 609 press fit, and once perfectly centered on the gun, tighten it up.  It seems to be holding well, but I have to point out that rather than fitting snugly in the dove tailed groove like most sights, I can see a gap. Note the picture below:

I don't know if that's an issue. Time will tell.

I haven't had it to the range yet. When I try it I'll update the post. In the meantime, if you want to look at the video, check out the link, below. Also note, you can find it lees expensively if you check other sites, like Amazon, but it seems to be back ordered most places (even the manufacturer's site).

Metprolight FT Bullseye

Security cannot be achieved at the cost of freedom.

Our nation was founded by the courageous and the strong. Cowards didn't dare come, the weak didn't survive. But once the hard work was done, and the danger conquered... well, you see what happened.

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
  • City: Greater Downtown Metropolitan Eastsound
  • State: Washington
Re: New FT Bullseye Sight
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »
Any change in time, presentation-to-first-shot?
Any change in presentation-to-double-tap time?
How 'bout time through presentation, upper-body, head?

It's a useful device only if, after familiarization practice, it doesn't slow you down.
Steve
(Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter)

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Major Malfunction

• Global Moderator
  • State: Florida
Re: New FT Bullseye Sight
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:37:46 AM »
Any change in time, presentation-to-first-shot?
Any change in presentation-to-double-tap time?
How 'bout time through presentation, upper-body, head?

It's a useful device only if, after familiarization practice, it doesn't slow you down.

I haven't taken it to the range yet, but in dry fire practice it seems about the same as my other sights. You still have to acquire the sight and get the 2 elements lined up. As fast as you can do that, you can have an accurate shot. If there is any advantage, it's that you look one place - at the rear sight - and it seems to align fairly easily, even for a first time user.

When I draw I customarily look for the front sight first, bringing it too bear on the target. That way the rear sight almost aligns itself. The same technique works well for my RMR, helping me acquire the dot very quickly. So, when I tried the FT Bullseye I naturally did the same and found that acquisition of the sight image was easy - maybe easier than the red dot.

I think the advantage still goes to the RMR though, because with the Bullseye you look at the rear sight, but with the RMR you look at the target, and the dot appears to be projected on the target. You can see your target clearly, and track it as it moves. This is counter to decades of training, but easy to adapt to.

There's a video (see the link in the original post) that shows he sight is action. The former SEAL performs quite well with the sight, though I don't see anything in the performance that he couldn't achieve with standard sights.

That said, I'm offering the info for anyone who is interested, not touting the sight as a must have. It's just a sight and frankly I've never found a sight that is significantly better than traditional sights. Maybe someday someone will invent a self aiming gun that hits the proper target in the proper place every time I pull the trigger. This ain't it.

Security cannot be achieved at the cost of freedom.

Our nation was founded by the courageous and the strong. Cowards didn't dare come, the weak didn't survive. But once the hard work was done, and the danger conquered... well, you see what happened.