Author Topic: Lets Change The Rules  (Read 1842 times)

Wrench

• Global Moderator
  • City: Menomonee Falls
  • State: Wisconsin
Lets Change The Rules
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
For the past year, I have been giving a great deal of thought towards rewriting the forum rules.

I have come to the conclusion that we don't need to worry about children participating in this forum, and according to Betty, she doesn't care if people need to express themselves with an occasional shit, damn, or whatever the situation may call for.  Granted that dropping the F-bomb really isn't necessary, but I think that you get my point.

I'm always pressed for time, and many of you reside here more than I do; so I would like to hear from you as far as what you would like to see.

As times get more and more bizarre in this world, I can't shame anyone for getting slightly colorful when discussing their passion for their nation, values, and faith, all things that are gradually getting squelched.

We have lost a few members in the past because they felt scolded for their behavior.  Granted, they may not have fit in for the long haul if they had that thin of skin, but I can only guess at that.

Please share your thoughts on this.  All of you are owners of this identity, and all of you should have input.

Thank you for all that you contribute.

Regards,
Wrench 
One must first listen in order to be heard.

NorCal Chuck

• State: California
Re: Lets Change The Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
Content . . . .
Sentence structure and implied implications and intention are much more important than what words you use to get your point across.

That being said I do think . . . . and sincerely believe that civil conversation does not require profanity

WHEW! . . . . Did I say that?

;)
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to any and all elected officials."

NRA Member
California Rifle and Pistol Association member
http://www.redwoodpracticalshooters.org

Major Malfunction

• Global Moderator
  • State: Florida
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
You know my feeling, Paul. Passionate speech should not be restricted, even if it becomes a bit colorful.

As long as posters do not use profanity to attack or intimidate another, or intending to be threatening or offensive - and I think we'll know that when we see it - I don't think we need to interfere with the expression.

I think the rules should indicate (wording to be determined---by you, I guess) that while we don't censor passionately written posts, we expect posters to be responsible in their use of the forum, and  if moderators receive complaints, or if they feel that a particular post or poster is too over the top, or is using offensive language simply to be shocking or offensive, the moderators will take action.

In our case, I expect all users will write like the responsible adults they are. If, in the future, we get a user who goes off the deep end, we can deal with that at the time. 
Security cannot be achieved at the cost of freedom.

Our nation was founded by the courageous and the strong. Cowards didn't dare come, the weak didn't survive. But once the hard work was done, and the danger conquered... well, you see what happened.

jhutch

• City: Pittsburgh
  • State: Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
I tend to agree with Major.  I'm not a fan of censorship, especially in a forum unlikely to have children present.  Lack of censorship has the added advantage of revealing much about the author's character - or lack thereof.  Sort of the online version of "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". 
Hutch
You deserve what you settle for

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
  • City: Greater Downtown Metropolitan Eastsound
  • State: Washington
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
I am not in favor of raw profanity. It gets in the way of clear thinking and clear expression. Vulgar and attention-getting words describing bodily functions and body parts should still be forbidden.

However, if the rules are changed to permit "warm," expressive words, I'll gladly go along with it.
I will even go along with creative "dissing" of the wealthy and powerful, including the President. (Hutch's "Obama-bin-Laden" was particularly good.)

My unwavering criterion is politeness.
We are having a conversation, and the basis of a conversational exchange of thought or information is politeness.
Certainly, I do not want to see personal attacks or snide anti-personal remarks condoned, against fellow forum members and participants. These, too, should therefore be forbidden by the rules.
Steve
(Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter)

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Wrench

• Global Moderator
  • City: Menomonee Falls
  • State: Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »
So far, I like everything suggested.
I think if we would get a new member, perhaps as they test the waters, we need to be more understanding.
While we continue to lead by example, they will more likely than not come to our way of expressing themself.
It's just until they get to know our group, a friendly warning can be easily be misinterpreted as a scolding.

Wrench
One must first listen in order to be heard.

CedarElm7

• State: Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »
I do think . . . . and sincerely believe that civil conversation does not require profanity.

That's my position also.  Well said, Chuck.

That being said ...

Although I almost certainly will not deploy "colorful" language myself, I'm not offended in the slightest by the "mild" terms (d---, h---, and the like).  I'd prefer we not denigrate ourselves with f-bombs; we're better than that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:51:58 PM by CedarElm7 »
Brad

*Texas CHL*  *TSRA*  *NRA*  molon labe

SapperSteel

• I'm Deplorable!
  • City: Arimo
  • State: Idaho
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »
Does this mean I can say "jackass", "douchenozzle", and "twatwaffle" without censure?

Lord!  There's no telling what depths I'll sink to! :1rij:

As always,

Sap

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 01:43:04 AM »
Does this mean I can say "jackass", "douchenozzle", and "twatwaffle" without censure?...

"Twatwaffle," like "twat"-anything, is regularly available only to those who speak the Queen's English.

Whilst in American English it refers to the most important external sexual characteristic of the (more usually) human female, in British English it refers to an item of apparel worn by nuns.

:P
Steve

NorCal Chuck

• State: California
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
Are we getting carried away here?
 :confuse:
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to any and all elected officials."

NRA Member
California Rifle and Pistol Association member
http://www.redwoodpracticalshooters.org

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
Are we getting carried away here?...[emphasis added]

...Well, Chuck, we certainly are stretch(er)ing the rules.  :D
Steve