Author Topic: anyone else carry a light as part of EDC?  (Read 1925 times)

silverbullet

• City: New Castle
  • State: Delaware
anyone else carry a light as part of EDC?
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
I did not carry one for the first 6 months or so I was carrying, but the more I got interested in prepping and reading about it there seems to be lots of merit to it.

I carry a cheap $20 ultrafire that takes 1 rechargeable battery. it has one of those self defense ends on it and I carry it in a holster. It also has a flashing mode. It is really bright and could temporarily blind an bad guy.
Only Criminals, Dictators, and Democrats fear armed citizens

"We might as well give up and run if we let em take our God and guns" Skynyrd

I offer deals on wise foods, m0untain h0use and kinves

SapperSteel

• I'm Deplorable!
  • City: Arimo
  • State: Idaho
Re: anyone else carry a light as part of EDC?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:00:10 PM »
I did not carry one for the first 6 months or so I was carrying, but the more I got interested in prepping and reading about it there seems to be lots of merit to it.

I carry a cheap $20 ultrafire that takes 1 rechargeable battery. it has one of those self defense ends on it and I carry it in a holster. It also has a flashing mode. It is really bright and could temporarily blind an bad guy.

I suppose they have their purpose and place.

My background, though, says I'm better off without one.

-- wish to preserve my night vision, which is a significant advantage over an assailant who has seared his visual purple away

-- wish NOT to reveal my exact location, which using a light does

-- wish not to be equipment-dependent any more than absolutely necessary

-- silent + dark = safe(r) and in control

Your mileage may vary -- clearly, other people love 'em.  That's just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Sap
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:04:47 PM by SapperSteel »

M1911A1 Steve

• Global Moderator
  • City: Greater Downtown Metropolitan Eastsound
  • State: Washington
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
In the rural area where we live, a small light comes in handy on a daily—well, nightly—basis.
Jean and I both carry lights.

Since we are active in our theater, we always need lights. Dark theaters are dangerous places.
Steve
(Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter)

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Yosemite Sam

• City: Central Coast
  • State: California
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:48:17 AM »
A friend of mine gave me a small, rechargeable (cigarette lighter) light some years ago and I'm never without it.  As I get younger, I've found my eyes seems to be going in the opposite direction and defining details in low-light is almost impossible.  It's only 2'' long and 3/4" wide and available on eBay for practically nothing.  With the newer bulb design, these little necessities are extremely bright; almost blinding at night.  I walk a lot after work and figured if someone approached me, this would provide me with a second or two to fill my other hand.  The number of homeless on the waterfront has increased over the years and it's reassuring to know I can spot people before they appear in my path.

`Okole maluna,       Kim (aka - Sam)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation”. Ronald Reagan

NRA & CRPA Life Member

flashback

• State: Iowa
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
I've generally got three flashlights within a reasonable reach...two inexpensive ones for general use and one Streamlight "bright as the sun" versions.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:20:19 PM by flashback »
Disarming Victims Doesn't Solve Crime.
USCCA / ACLDN / NRA / IFC / ACA / IDPA

silverbullet

• City: New Castle
  • State: Delaware
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:16 PM »
I've generally got three flashlights within a reasonable reach...two inexpensive ones for general use and one Streamlight "bright as the sun" versions.

I had a scorpion streamlight flashlight. THe guy who bought it from me took it out while he was over and I was fooling with it. Great light and bright, but I did not like that it did not have a self defense edge.
Only Criminals, Dictators, and Democrats fear armed citizens

"We might as well give up and run if we let em take our God and guns" Skynyrd

I offer deals on wise foods, m0untain h0use and kinves

FlingWing

• State: Oregon
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
  As I get younger, I've found my eyes seems to be going in the opposite direction and defining details in low-light is almost impossible. 

Sam, me too and I want one of these.  I do carry a small light, not bright at all on a belt loop with my Nitro pills but have a very bright one in both vehicles.

Nate

NorCal Chuck

• State: California
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Flash lights are something that I always have available and ready.
I maintain 2 rechargeable large "spot lights" for when the dogs bark during the night.
I like that bright, blinding beam piercing the night when I am not sure what I am looking for.

Pocket lights are always at hand in one place or another.
They really are a great help when outside hunting through the brush or whatever, looking for something that I dropped.

At 77 anything that will help these aged eyes find what I am looking for is greatly appreciated.
When it is dark and there is no moon I will take any help that I can get.
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to any and all elected officials."

NRA Member
California Rifle and Pistol Association member
http://www.redwoodpracticalshooters.org

jhutch

• City: Pittsburgh
  • State: Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »
Definitely.  I have a Surefire LX2 Lumamax.  I've found this has the best (for me) end-switch functionality.  Push the end-button in a bit and it comes on low.  Put in further and it comes on at a full 200 lumens.  Let go and it turns off.  No clicking through modes or silly strobe settings.  If you want it to stay on, you simply twist the end cap in and it stays on low.  Twist it in a little more and it stays on full power.  It's made of anodized, aircraft aluminum and has a crenellated lens cap.  It's just the right length so that it's easy to carry in my pocket but could be used to dent someone's head if needed.
You deserve what you settle for

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth